Badminton is the second most practiced racket sport in the world, beaten only by tennis in terms of popularity. In fact, it’s estimated that roughly 220 million people play badminton on a regular basis, all over the world!
Many people actually confuse tennis and badminton because both sports are played on a court using a racket. In actual fact, there are many key differences between the two sports, from court and racket size to rulebook specifics.
However, one major observable difference between tennis and badminton is that badminton is played with a shuttlecock, not a ball.
A shuttlecock consists of a piece of cork attached to a feather (or nylon) cone. Shuttlecocks are built for aerodynamic stability, so they can travel high and far.
In the same way as the quality of a tennis ball can affect a player’s performance on the court, the construction of a shuttlecock can make or break a match.
Whether you’re getting into badminton for the first time or are a seasoned player looking for an upgrade on your gear, we have 10 of the highest quality badminton shuttlecocks to review for you today!
10 Best Badminton Shuttlecocks Reviews
Best Overall: Yonex Mavis 2000 Nylon Badminton Shuttlecock
If you’re looking for the best of the best when it comes to your badminton equipment, the Yonex Mavis 2000 Nylon Badminton Shuttlecocks will be perfect for you.
When you purchase the Yonex Mavis 2000 shuttlecocks, you’ll receive 3 tubes, each of which contains 6 shuttles. This means that you’ll get 18 shuttlecocks in total.
Instead of real feathers, these shuttlecocks are made with high-quality nylon that closely mirrors the weight and feel of goose feathers for authenticity and incredible performance.
Additionally, the Yonex Mavis shuttlecocks feature wing rib technology which increases durability, so you can rely on these shuttlecocks to see you through intense practice sessions and even tournaments!
These are the medium-speed Yonex Mavis shuttlecocks, although you can also find them in slow and fast speeds. The reason we favor the medium speed is that they’re more versatile for players of all skill levels and for use in different playing scenarios.
We were also really impressed by the precision of these shuttlecocks’ trajectories, made possible by the fast recovery time.
Unfortunately, the downside to these shuttlecocks is that the enhanced quality comes with a higher price tag.
- 3 tubes per purchase – 18 shuttles in total
- High-quality nylon – Mimics real feathers
- Medium speed – Versatile
- Wing rib technology – Highly durable
- Fast recovery – Precise trajectory
- Relatively expensive – Not a budget purchase
- synthetic feather shuttle with the revolutionary wing rib structure
- for recreational and competitive play
- comes in 1/2 dz tube
Runner-Up: KEVENZ Goose Feather Badminton Shuttlecocks
Our runner-up pick in the category of best badminton shuttlecocks has to be the KEVENZ Goose Feather Badminton Shuttlecocks.
This particular shuttlecock comes in a 12-pack, so you’re getting good value for your money and will have plenty of shuttlecocks to work with for the time being.
KEVENZ has constructed these shuttlecocks with a focus on high quality and performance, which we love to see. Each shuttlecock features 16 goose feathers, all of which have been selected by a computerized program designed to pick out only the very best feathers.
Once the feathers have been selected, they are treated with a formula that increases softness and smoothness, further enhancing aerodynamic performance.
The finished shuttlecocks are then rigorously tested for rotation and stability. Only those that pass testing with flying colors are packaged for sale.
However, these shuttlecocks are probably not the best option for beginners because their heads are not built to withstand improper technique for very long. They are better suited to more experienced players who need some good quality shuttlecocks to practice with.
- 12-pack – Good value for money
- 16 goose feathers – Optimal construction
- Computerized feather selection – Highest quality
- Flight tested – Perfect stability and rotation
- Treated for smoothness – Extra aerodynamic
- Heads are not the most durable – May be damaged by poor technique
- Sold: 12 Pack profession badminton shuttlecocks
- Material: Advanced Goose Feather
- 100% infrared selection of goose feathers quality, feather hair straight and thick, good strength, enhance the badminton resistance
- 100% test badminton rotation, to ensure that the badminton flight stability
- Goose feathers are treated with special formula, smooth and soft
Best Budget: Philonext Badminton Shuttlecocks
Looking for high quality on a budget? The Philonext Badminton Shuttlecocks are your best option.
Each pack of Philonext Badminton Shuttlecocks contains 12 shuttles which, considering the price, is really great value for money.
In addition to their budget-friendly pricing, there are plenty of other reasons to invest in a pack of Philonext Badminton Shuttlecocks today!
Every shuttlecock consists of premium goose feathers and a high-performance head. The goose feathers help to make the shuttles more aerodynamic while the head ensures precision on a consistent basis.
Plus, these shuttlecocks are surprisingly sturdy for the price, so you won’t have to worry about their durability, even during more intense games.
The only criticism we have of this shuttlecock set is that they don’t achieve very high trajectories, tending to de-escalate quite quickly.
- 12-pack – Excellent value
- Premium goose feathers – Very aerodynamic
- High-performance head – Consistent precision
- Sturdy construction – Durable
- Not the best in terms of height – Rapid de-escalation
- Premium Badminton - Equipped with 16 pieces fine goose feather, lightweight to provide smooth and even flight.
- Durability - Premium feather and sturdy structure provide a continuously play and make the ball for long time use.
- Stability - Comes with composite double head cork which offer consistent bounce and steady flight path.
- Application - Suitable for entertainment, training and exercise fitness, especially for trainers, amateurs and beginners.
- Package - 12pcs badminton shuttlecocks are packed in a great tube, which is well-protected the shuttlecocks on its shipping way.
Highly Commended Picks: Champion Sports Nylon Outdoor Shuttlecocks
The Champion Sports Nylon Outdoor Shuttlecocks are definitely some of the best on the market.
Because these shuttlecocks are designed specifically for outdoor use, they’re constructed in a way that enables them to withstand the elements.
Instead of goose feathers, the Champion Sports shuttlecocks have a nylon base that delivers the same impressive aerodynamics as feathers, but with added wear resistance.
Additionally, the solid rubber head provides both durability and weight. Of course, the increased durability is important because it extends the longevity of your equipment.
However, when you’re playing outdoors, the added weight is especially useful because it prevents your shots from being too impacted by weather-related factors such as wind and rain.
With that being said, it’s worth bearing in mind that these are not super fast shuttlecocks, so they’re not the ideal choice if you enjoy fast-paced play.
- Nylon base – Aerodynamic and wear-resistant
- Thick rubber head – Highly durable
- Well-weighted – Suited to outdoor use
- Slightly on the slower side – Not for fast-paced games
- Durable nylon construction
- Nylon base for outdoor play
- Pack of six (6) shuttles per tube
- The Package Weight Of The Product Is 0.36 Pounds
ZHENAN also manufactures some really impressive badminton shuttlecocks that we would recommend if you’re looking for solid quality and performance at a reasonable price.
These shuttlecocks are made using real goose feathers, which have been treated with a chemical formula for added smoothness and softness. The sleek feel of the treated feathers contributes to their aerodynamic performance.
All feathers used in the construction of the ZHENAN shuttlecocks have been selected using infrared technology, which helps to single out the highest quality feathers. Because of this, you can put your trust in ZHENAN’s quality control.
Unlike cheaper shuttlecocks, which have a tendency to sustain damage after a certain number of games, these shuttlecocks will last you for the foreseeable future. That’s because they have solid, durable cork heads that won’t break easily.
Once the shuttlecocks are put together, ZHENAN tests them for flight stability, ensuring consistent performance.
We should mention, however, that these feel like heavyweight shuttlecocks, which means that they don’t have much bounce to them. For this reason, you’ll need to be able to put a decent amount of power behind your shots.
- Cork head – Solid and durable
- Treated goose feathers – Smooth and sleek
- Infrared feather selection – Advanced quality control
- Tested for stability – Superior performance
- Heavyweight – Minimal bounce
- Sold: 12 Count badminton shuttlecocks, color is white.
- Material: Advanced Goose Feather,Solid Cork Head.
- 100% infrared selection of goose feathers quality, feather hair straight and thick, good strength, enhance the badminton resistance.
- 100% test badminton rotation, to ensure that the badminton flight stability.
- Goose feathers are treated with special formula, smooth and soft.
If you’ve been searching high and low for an affordable set of shuttlecocks that will actively help to improve your play, we’d like to suggest the HIRALIY Nylon Badminton Shuttlecocks.
This is a 24-pack of shuttlecocks, so if you’re looking to bulk-buy for cost-effectiveness, this set is definitely a good option.
The Complexcork head fitted onto each of these shuttlecocks is built to enhance flight stability. It’s also proportionally small compared to the nylon base, meaning that the sweet spot is minimized. If you’re struggling to improve your hand-eye coordination, you might find that using these shuttlecocks sees you progressing in leaps and bounds.
Compared to goose feathers, which can be quite fragile, the nylon bases on these shuttlecocks are highly durable and won’t let you down.
Unfortunately, because these shuttlecocks are very lightweight, they’re not the best choice for playing outside, particularly in relatively windy conditions. They’re better suited to indoor play.
- 24-pack – Cost-effective purchase
- Complexcork head – Enhances flight stability
- Small sweet spot – Good for improving hand-eye coordination
- Nylon base – Very durable
- Lightweight – Not the best for outdoor play
- New Usage:You may be confused about how can birdies be applied to baseball batting training.Actually many pros hit birdies for warm-up. It is a fun, efficient and economic drill, particularly suitbale for indoor practice
- Enhance Batting Timing Accuracy: You can throw birdies to your player, simulating different pitching trajectory and speed, so that they can practice different speeds and movements and improve their timing
- Improved Hand - Eye Coordination: Since the cork base of birdies is small, your players should keep concentration on the trajectory of birdies and hit on the sweet spot, which will help improve their hand-eye coordination
- Easy and Fun to Use: It doesn't matter if you are a professional coach or good pticher, our shuttlecocks will make toss easy. You can get batting practice indoor without worring about doing damage to your house
- Our nylon shuttlecocks can also be used for badminton amateur training and outdoor recreation. [24 pack] is highly cost-effective
If you’re a fan of lightweight shuttlecocks for effortless, long-distance shots, the TEOZZO Goose Feather Badminton Shuttlecocks.
These shuttlecocks come in a pack of 12, so you always have plenty of spares on hand for when one shuttle flies out of range or goes missing.
The goose feathers used to make up the base of these shuttlecocks are selected via infrared technology, which ensures the strictest levels of quality control. There’s no room for human error with this computerized selection process, so you can be sure you’re always getting your money’s worth.
Thanks to the solid cork heads, these shuttlecocks are also very durable due to their enhanced impact resistance.
TEOZZO’s Badminton Shuttlecocks are fast-rated, which means that they cover a significant distance in a short amount of time. This is partly due to how lightweight they are. However, this can also be viewed as a downside since the lightness of the shuttles means that they are better suited to casual as opposed to competitive and more aggressive play.
- Pack of 12 – Plenty of replacements
- Tough cork head – Impact-resistant
- Infrared-selected goose feathers – High quality
- Fast-rated – Travels fast and far
- Very lightweight – Best for more casual play
- 🏸PACK OF 12: Each pack comes with 12 badminton shuttlecocks that are carefully made using goose feathers which coupled with the solid cork head adds more stability, reduce air resistance and offers more durability making our badminton shuttles ideal for casual and professional use
- 🏸STRAIGHT & STRONG: The goose feathers are chosen through infrared selection to make sure they’re just the right thickness and strong enough to handle continuous play without losing their form making these ideal for long matches between professionals or just for daily use
- 🏸DURABLE & STABLE: To ensure a steady flight path and stable shots we use a durable and thick cork head that enhances the bounce, increase stability and allows for better control of your shots. You can use our badminton shuttlecocks for family fun or training to go pro
- 🏸WIDE APPLICATION: Whether you want to play with friends in your yard or professionally at a tournament, you can count on our goose feather shuttles to provide you with the entertainment you need to have fun and training to help polish your skills. Ideal for all ages and skill levels
- 🏸HIGH-SPEED PERFORMANCE: The streamlined design of the badminton feather shuttlecock coupled with the lightweight brings you a 77-speed shuttle that’s the perfect choice for entertainment with friends and family, personal training and for use at tournaments
We’ve already reviewed one set of ZHENAN Badminton Shuttlecocks today. However, if you’re looking for something a bit more visually striking to add some fun to your badminton games, the ZHENAN LED Badminton Shuttlecocks are a good option.
These shuttlecocks feature goose feathers, indicating good quality and aerodynamics.
However, the real selling point of the ZHENAN LED shuttlecocks are, of course, the built-in LED lamps. These lamps can be turned on and off easily and quickly using the accessible, intuitive switch.
Because the lamps are LED, they don’t produce any heat emissions, so there’s no need to worry about your goose feathers catching on fire.
Plus, LED lights like these ones have impressive lifespans. The ZHENAN LED shuttlecock lights have a lifespan of approximately 50 hours. If we assume that a 3-match badminton game lasts about 45 minutes, that translates to 66 games.
These are high-speed shuttlecocks, so they’re great for fast, long-distance shots. Sadly, the foam heads are not the most durable, so we’d recommend avoiding hitting them with too much force.
- Goosefeather construction – Great quality
- Built-in LED lamps – No heat emissions
- 50-hour light lifespan – Lasts approximately 66 games
- Simple power switch – Easy to use
- High-speed – Fast trajectory
- Foam head – Not the most durable
- Material: Goose feather, feather, SMD lamps, Electronic products,100% safe
- The LED lights can be switched on and off easily
- With these led shuttlecocks the fun is just beginning when the sun goes down
- Approximate life span of 50 hours each to keep the fun going for a good long time
- 4Pcs/box :1pcs Red ,1pcs Green,1pcs Blue, 1pcs Colorfu flashing
Senston’s Badminton Shuttlecocks are a good heavyweight, medium-speed option for players of almost all abilities.
These shuttlecocks, which come in a pack of 6, have nylon bases and composite cork heads. The cork heads enhance the flight stability of each individual shuttlecock while the nylon construction increases the wear-resistance. Altogether, this build ensures maximum durability.
Something else that has led us to recommend these shuttlecocks is the fact that they are rated as medium-speed. This is the most versatile type of shuttlecock because it can travel faster with increased power behind the shot, or slower if you reduce the power. Essentially, if you want to try out different play styles, medium-speed is your best bet.
Because the heads of these shuttlecocks are weighted, making them heavier compared to the rest of the shuttle, they recover quickly for a straight trajectory. However, the extra weight does mean that you need to put a little more force behind these shuttlecocks than you would with lightweight shuttles.
- Nylon base – Wear-resistant
- Composite cork heads – Durable and stable
- Medium speed – Wide application
- Weighted heads – Good recovery
- Heavyweight – Requires some force
- ✔ Feather Material: Nylon Feather. Nylon feathers offer durability after repeated hits over the net
- ✔ Cork Material: Composite Cork. Good elasticity, good hitting and durability, not easy to crack, to provide stability in flight.
- ✔ Speed: Medium-speed. Senston shuttlecocks help you build hand-eye coordination. The ball head is a little bit heavy, so the speed is faster.
- ✔ Suitable for Family Fun, Training, Leisure and Entertainment. You can play them with your families, friends or classmates to not only exercise your bodies but also promote friendship among you.
- ✔ CUSTOMER SERVICE: If you have any problems after the purchase, you can feel free to contact us. We have the best service team to solve all customer's questions and problems
Last but not least, the SATTARO Nylon Shuttlecocks are an excellent choice in terms of quantity, quality, and functionality.
Inside this pack, you’ll find 12 shuttlecocks, which is a good deal considering the very reasonable price point.
Budget-friendliness isn’t the only thing these shuttlecocks have on their side, though. The nylon bases are a more durable alternative to feathers, so you’ll be able to keep using the SATTARO shuttlecocks for a while.
These shuttlecocks are both high-speed and lightweight. That means that they’re suitable for fast, competitive play, but also relatively beginner-friendly because you don’t need to put too much force behind each shot.
We did notice, however, that the shuttle heads are quite hard and don’t have much bounce to them, which can throw off the feel of your shots, especially if you’re used to softer shuttlecock heads.
- 12-pack – Good monetary value
- Nylon bases – Enhanced durability
- Lightweight – Minimal force required
- High-speed – Ideal for fast play
- Very firm heads – Not much bounce
- PACKAGE: Each pack comes with 12 Badminton Shuttlecocks that are made of durable nylon with a solid cork head
- DURABLE NYLON SHUTTLECOCKS: Made of high quality nylon, more durable than other feather badminton balls
- HIGH SPEED PERFORMANCE: The badminton feather shuttlecock coupled with the lightweight brings you a 77-speed shuttle.
- Multiple Scenario: These birdies are suitable for recreational backyard games, PE lessons and amateur club training.
- 100% SATISFACTION: 30 Days Customer Satisfaction Warranty. Full refund in 30 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the difference between a shuttlecock and a birdie?
If you take a look at the range of shuttlecocks currently available on the market, you’ll probably find several that are referred to as ‘birdies’. This might make you wonder if there’s a difference between shuttlecocks and birdies.
The answer is no. ‘Birdie’ is simply another name for a shuttlecock. It’s not a different thing, and it’s not a specific type of shuttlecock either.
What type of shuttlecock should I use?
If you’re a beginner to badminton, you will need to prioritize durability in a shuttlecock. This is because more fragile shuttles can easily be damaged through improper techniques.
You will also want to opt for a slower-rated shuttlecock when you’re starting out because you’ll probably need more time to line up your shots and watch the trajectory.
You might also do better with a lighter shuttlecock so that you can focus more on your coordination and technique rather than putting a lot of power behind each shot.
Once you’re more experienced, you might want to switch up your choice of shuttlecock for something faster and heavier as your shots get stronger and your hand-eye coordination improves.
Are nylon or feather shuttlecocks better?
The answer to this question depends entirely on your specific preferences and needs when it comes to your badminton equipment.
If you’re trying to improve your long-distance shots, nylon will work better for you because it typically delivers a flatter trajectory. For speed, however, feather shuttlecocks usually have the upper hand.
Feather shuttlecocks are generally considered to be of higher quality than their nylon counterparts, but they’re also more susceptible to damage and significantly more expensive on average.
With all of that being said, you can save yourself the stress of choosing between these shuttlecock builds by investing in a set of each.
That way, you can use your nylon shuttlecocks for your practice sessions and your feather shuttles for matches. This will mean that you don’t wear out your feather shuttlecocks as quickly, and you get some experience using both so that you can figure out what works best for you.
Last update on 2021-11-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API